Inclusion & Support
The transition from primary school to secondary school can be a worrying time, especially if your child has additional needs and therefore, faces additional challenges.
Our large Inclusion Team are passionate about ensuring our vulnerable students have a smooth transition into high school. We have transition classes for children who may struggle in large mainstream classrooms. These classes are designed to be more nurturing and taught by teachers who have expertise in teaching children with SEND. We also have a lunch time club for our most vulnerable children which can be accessed via referrals. G12 is also open to encourage friendships and communication.
It may be that your child is invited to additional transition days to help them familiarise themselves with our school site and expectations prior to them visiting with the other children from their primary school. This day will involve ice-breakers, a tour of the school, a timetable competition, designing a Parrs Wood High School Survival Kit and enjoying spending time in our playgrounds and dinner hall. Parents/carers will also be invited in for a Q&A session with some of our inclusion team.
Members of the Inclusion Team may also be invited to your child’s primary school to help plan the transition process, especially if they have and Educational Health and Care Plan.
The inclusion team can offer individualised support to your child to help him/her transition into secondary school. This could include:
- 'About Me' (Manchester Inclusion strategy - including learning, behaviour, physical, medical needs circulated to all staff)
- Risk and resilience plans
- Behaviour management plans
- Access to inclusion room during unstructured times (referral must be made via inclusion staff)
- Intervention programmes offered by EAL faculty/Inclusion
- Toilet/medical pass (sensory/physical needs)
- 1:1 support (cognition and learning)
- Staff who are qualified in manual handling (sensory and physical needs)
- In class support from Inclusion Learning Support Assistant (range of SEND needs)
- Time out card (social, emotional and mental health)
- Coloured overlay (sensory/physical needs)
- Lift Pass (sensory/physical needs)
- G12 Lunch Club (Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties)
Please feel free to call the school on 0161 445 8786 and ask for INCLUSION. We will be happy to discuss any questions you may have.
Please also visit our SEND page for more information on how we can support your child.